Monday, February 17, 2014

Very First Meet and Greet

Today, I had my very first "Meet and Greet." This is a common term around the Disney company for short meetings with professionals from around the company. They are totally up to you to set them up, but they are highly encouraged nonetheless. It's pretty much the main way to network while on your program, something you do not want to miss out on while you're here, especially if you plan on staying with Disney. 

Because I've never really done a Meet and Greet before, I made it easy on myself and started with my teacher, David Horvath, he teaches both my classes so I figured he'd be a great resource, plus I'd get to know my teacher better! He was a great resource indeed, he gave me a lot of advice for moving forward with my future Meet and Greets as I already have a few more set up, including: 

Dan Campbell - Disney's Animal Kingdom Entertainment
Emily Carreon - Global Content Development (Yellow Shoes)

David basically explained that each Meet and Greet should last about thirty minutes, to respect the other persons' time. You should come prepared with some questions and a basic vision of what you want to get out of the meeting. David also helped me by telling me that I HAD to go back and finish my degree and that it was okay doing so. It obviously feels super hard to leave when I have started making connections here and can see where my career could be headed, but he made me feel okay about returning for my degree.

I'm really looking forward to both of these and I even have a "Spotlight on Disney's Dream Weddings" coming up soon! Many departments do these "Spotlights" when the have a lot of people interested in Meet and Greets, so they invite many people at once.

In total I have already emailed twelve professionals on property to set up Meet and Greets and am waiting to hear back. I'm excited that I get this opportunity at all, and frankly I don't think there's such a thing as OVER networking.

1 comment:

  1. You are a real go-getter .. the world needs more "young" adults with your attitude.

    ReplyDelete