Saturday, December 21, 2013

Overview of the Disney College Program

The main question I always get from people is, “so basically, what is it?” or at least some variation of that question. (I also am always asked the sarcastic question of, “So you’re gonna be a Disney princess?” to which I face palm myself and move on with my life). If time is limited or I don’t feel like going into detail, the short answer I usually give is usually one of the following:

“It’s basically like studying abroad, but in Florida…at Disney World.”
“It’s a paid internship with Disney.”
“It’s a minimum wage internship at Disney World.”
“I work and study at Disney World.”

In reality, the Disney College Program is so much more. If you really are interested, I highly recommend poking around the Disney College Program website and the Disney Programs Blog if you haven’t already. They, obviously, have much more insight than I could ever give. But since you’re already here, let me give you some information.

The Disney College Program boasts three major components: Living, Learning, and Earning. Let me break down these three parts.

Living

CPs (College Program-ers) live in one of the four apartment complexes used specifically by CPs. These apartment complexes are located on Walt Disney World property. If you have never been to Disney World before…brace yourself. Disney World is like a whole city in itself, it spans across 47 square miles, that’s about the size of Manhattan, people! Rent is taken out of your weekly paycheck (remember EPCOT: every paycheck comes on Thursday). There are many different apartment sizes and each room holds two people, so prepare for roommates.



Learning
At the Walt Disney World College Program, the educational component of the program is optional. There are two different types of courses one can take: collegiate and seminar. Collegiate courses can be recommended for college credit if your university accepts them. Remember that kicker: IF your university accepts them. These courses are like actual college courses, they have homework, project, etc. and they cost the minimal fees for required textbooks and materials (generally around $30). On the flip side, seminars are completely free and do not have homework or anything of the sort. They cannot be recommended for college credit either. All courses are offered through Disney University—yes this is a real thing. Keep in mind, Disney is one of the top companies in the world, and to learn from them is a once in a lifetime opportunity (at least in my opinion). 


Earning

The majority of people I talk to about the program automatically assume that the Disney College Program is filled with nutty, Disney-obsessed wackos, like myself. While this may be true—the DCP does have its fair share of weirdos, there are a lot of people that are drawn to the program simply because it is a paid internship, these are often few and far between. You’re likely to get paid minimum wage, but with the extensive hours you’re working, you could potentially be bringing home a hefty paycheck depending on your budgeting and your expectations.

This is just a brief overview of the program for those who are just starting to look into the program or for those who are interested in what I’m doing for the whole spring semester.



Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! Your blog is extremely helpful! I am thinking about applying for the 2014 Spring College Program. I saw from your "About Me" that you are an Alpha Phi! I am a Delta Zeta...I was curious if you met lots of other sorority girls through your experience with DCP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare, there was lots of Greek Life at the Disney College Program, even a whole Facebook page dedicated to it!

      Delete