Thursday, January 23, 2014

Traditions

Today I had Traditions, this is Disney's company-wide orientation that every Cast Member has to take. Some people like to call it "mouse washing" you. I had the early Traditions orientation, which meant me and my roommate, Emily, hopping the 6:45am bus from Chatham to Disney University...woo. We got there around 7:15am and had to wait on the bus a little until they were ready to let us in. Once inside, we were split into groups based on the Traditions number on our stickers given to us at check-in. There were probably about twenty-five people in my group and we were lead into one of the Disney University classrooms. As we checked in to the classroom, we received our company ID's! Very exciting!



The beginning of the Traditions orientation was SUPER boring, only because 1) it was one of those lame computer modules about safety procedures and company conduct, and 2) I was SO tired. I was literally fighting with my eyelids to stay open! But then they showed this magically sappy, inspirational video about the Disney Company and working for Disney and then I was all ears (no pun intended). 

After some more information we took about a five minute break and then came back to big red boxes on our tables. We opened them up all together to find a lovely surprise! 



We talked a lot about the Disney Company's "Four Keys," Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency. And I even won a little prize for participating. Again, this was another moment where I appreciated the effort that went into making something potentially boring, fun and engaging.


After some more inspirational videos and words from our CEO, Chief of Parks and Resorts, etc. (via video), we then went to one of the best parts of Traditions...a short tour of the Magic Kingdom, including the Utilidors! For those of you that have always been wondering, I can tell you that there are indeed tunnels under the Magic Kingdom. However, they're not exactly underneath because you can't really build a basement in the swampy, marshy Florida landscape. So the Utilidors (Utility Corridors) are actually on the first floor, and the Magic Kingdom is on the second! They actually weren't all that thrilling. "Collide" was playing on the speakers, the smell of pizza was wafting through the air, and contrary to rumor, it did not at all smell like garbage. Before I knew it, we were seamlessly walking "Offstage" (behind the scenes) into the park ("Onstage"). I still think that Disney World doesn't hold a candle to Disneyland, but I know people from the east coast believe differently, I guess it's just what you were raised with! 

When we got back, we talked only a little bit more until we were given another wonderful surprise. The boss man himself paid us a visit and brought along a gift, our name tags. I tell you what, I'm twenty years old and seeing Mickey Mouse is still so magical to me!





So that was it for Traditions. We were done at about 12:30pm. Below I have added a couple more photos I took at Traditions, including what I wore, because I know that was difficult for people to figure out.







Right after Traditions I went home to change and eat (I was starving, as always), and then can you imagine where I went next? That's right, this girl took her free pass right on into the Magic Kingdom. I went with my roommate, Emily, our two neighbors that live across the hall from us, Colton and Patrick, and Katherine, whom Patrick met at Traditions. The five of us had a blast! I have never laughed so hard at a Disney park before! The friends I have met already are so amazing, I can tell we can all feel the same way about being here, simply...blessed. Tomorrow we're planning on hitting Hollywood Studios, that is, after I finish my first day of training (ahhh!). 



If you know me...



This was genuinely a candid photo...Space Mountain in Disney World is absolutely terrifying compared to Disneyland! 

Emily was so adorable during the fireworks


Tomorrow I have DAKlimation at 8:00am, which means I will be hopping on the 7:05am bus from Chatham! I'm super excited for tomorrow, and only nervous for getting lost or missing the bus or taking the wrong one or something! Everything is happening so fast and it's definitely not looking like it's going to slow down any time soon!

P.S. I've been asked if I'm going to make any more vlogs soon and the answer is: I promise I will soon! I have to admit, I definitely prefer blogging over vlogging only because it's a little awkward to talk to a camera. Plus, I only like to vlog when no one is home, so as soon as the opportunity presents itself I promise I will be giving an apartment tour plus talking about everything I've experienced up to this point!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hun! I have a question? you live closer to me, I'm from california, and i wanted to know why did you choose to do the DCP in Orlando instead of California's Disneyland? I want to go to Florida as well for the DCP , but i need more reasons as to why i should go there instead of the one in California. My family is against the idea of me going to Florida because it would be my first time away from home and they are just worried of course. But idk how else to get them on bored so i need outside sources like yourself :) so yea lol thanks in advance! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      I decided to do the WDW program for a few reasons.
      1. The Character Performer role is only available at the WDW program with the DCP.
      2. I never really moved far away for school and I was ready for an adventure.
      3. In my opinion, the WDW program is bigger and has more opportunities for networking, especially if it is your hope to stay with the company long term or find a career with Disney.

      Delete